In 2010, heating equipment was involved in an estimated 57,100 home structure fires.
Fireplaces, chimneys or chimney connecters were involved in more than one-third (37%) of reported home heating fires in 2005-2009. Failure to clean was a factor in more than half (53%) of these incidents.
A sticky combustible substance, creosote, is created when wood does not burn completely. It can build-up inside the chimney and catch fire. Chimneys and vents need to be cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional at least once a year.
All fire departments agree that there is a problem, and we’re doing our best to educate everyone to the importance of keeping chimneys swept clean for a safer home.
With the proper maintenance of chimneys by your local Chimney Sweep, the woodstove and fireplace can continue to be the low cost solution for heat that is should be. Besides, it’s a lot less expensive to maintain a good chimney than to buy a new home!!
In Germany, it is the law that chimneys be swept at least twice per year. In all European countries, where wood is the main source of heating, chimney sweeps are regarded as being “lucky” stemming from the days when this occupation began and thus substantially decreased the number of chimney fires.
As a realtor, I am called upon to arrange for houses to be cleaned prior to clients moving both in and out. Time and time again, Betsy and her crew have done a remarkable job in a short amount of time. I can always count on them to be prompt, thorough and reasonable.
I would highly recommend her services.”
Marilynn "Mo" L. Reycroft
Warren Real Estate – Ithaca NY